Friday, February 17, 2012

I cant help it

We looked at a place yesterday which I found lovely but strangely disquieting at the same time. Is that even possible? It was a new experience for me and I didnt really know what to think until we talked it through on the way back home.

This house had cool architectural detailing, high ceilings, storage, outlook and everything that we needed in order to down size ( this is our second attempt by the way). 
I was merrily snapping shots for the Mr. (who wasnt on-board with the househunt until today as he is having a bad week at work) and then I decided to stop. Just like that. I decided I didnt like it. The potato didnt like it either. It had been painted a pale green grey inside which is always odd if you ask me. One room maybe, but a whole house is weird. I couldnt get away from the colour fast enough. We went outside to see the garden, I still hadnt voiced anything I was thinking to the teenager, just happy being outside and away from, well in.



Then I went back in and tried to like it.



The laundry was fine but I couldnt live in only the laundry.
The colour had me emotionally kind of blank.
Oh but the bones of the place, surely...we..could just...Nope. No No and definitely not.
I drove straight to the real estate office and told them to paint it. Yes I did!
I know, I know, too front-on right? She even kind of listened the poor thing. Thought I was mental, but listened politely.
I couldnt help myself. I truly believe that anyone renting the place will end up depressed. Am I wrong? I mean the green I mention isnt even on a colour chart.

We viewed another place today. We all got up early for the viewing which is astounding. The guys didnt have breakfast first. They always eat before they go anywhere.
This other place was apricot! It wasnt until I went upstairs for the second time that I even realised.

We wont be applying for this one either.

Could you rent somewhere where you didnt like the colour?
Really didnt like?
What colour are your walls?



11 comments:

BOB & MABEL said...

I couldn't live with either of those colours, particularly the apricot, yukko! Good luck with your search.

Melissa said...

Prehaps they got the paint really cheap??
If you don't like anything about a house don't live there otherwise you find you never want to be at home.
Good Luck, I'm sure the right one is just around the corner.

willywagtail said...

I can adopt to lots of houses but I do believe some places have added, not nice elements (if you know what I mean) that just turn you off. Just something. I've been into display homes with essentially the same floor plans but felt creepy in one but not in the other. You need to like the house to make a home. Cherrie
And good on you for being brave. How long does it take to splash on some paint after all - and keep a sample for touch ups and normal household marks.

Frankie and Ray said...

Wendy, I totally get it! No way could I live happily somewhere surrounded by colour I hate. I just know there'll be a nice house with good white walls out there waiting for you.

Bungalowgirl said...

Nope that green is 100 % certified 1940's hospital ward green. And it possibly looks creepy haunted to me- perhaps your vibe was more than the colour? Apricot is awful too. This is of course coming from someone who bought a house that is custard yellow inside, dirty cornflower outside and spends every waking minute either painting it or complaining about it! Good luck. melx

Lady Demelza said...

I have been known, on more than one occasion, to just paint the walls myself. Definitely worth the effort, even for a rental.
I am the luckiest rental girl in the world at the moment. My house doesn't have a single painted surface. Every wall is recycled timber or 100+ y-o, differently coloured- and shaped- bricks.

Kelly Ingram said...

I actually rented a little townhouse style home in The Basin, years ago, which was painted apricot - walls AND ceilings - it was awful! I did end up painting the kitchen. I'm sure you'll find something wonderful soon xxx

Squiggly Rainbow said...

You make me smile. I get it completely. I need white and light, lots of it. Hubby is pulling houses up on the web and I take one look and say yay or nay..... I tell him, its about aesthetics... I can't live in a house that is not pleasing to my eye. Doesn't have to be perfect, but cannot have brown (or perhaps that green). xxxx

Emma Thomsen said...

I am so on your page here, we so like a soft green and have it in our conservatory (where there is minimal wall space) and tried it in the lounge. But no we just couldn't live with it. I think the thing with green - especially light green - is it's just too 'institutional'. Maybe that's why it made you feel depressed! As for peach, that colour just isn't on my colour spectrum ANYWHERE!!!

Emma Thomsen said...

Oops you said apricot not peach, oh well "same meat different gravy" - not a good colour at all!

Christy Franklin said...

Our last rental was bluey/grey everything. It made me nauseous :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails